Wheatley Hill Parish Council has signed up and pledged to join the County Durham Single Use Plastics Pledge.
What single use plastic is and why it is a problem
Single use plastics are used only once before they are thrown away or recycled. These items are things like plastic bags, straws, coffee stirrers, water bottles and most food packaging.
It is thought that more than five trillion pieces of plastic are in the world’s oceans and it can take years for it to break down. Most of it isn’t biodegradable, it doesn’t rot like paper or food and so it can hang around in the environment for hundreds of years.
What happens to your plastic
Find out what happens to your plastic on Durham County Council’s What happens to your recycling page.
How you can reduce your use of single use plastics
There are all sorts of things you can choose to do your bit such as:
- carry a shopping bag instead of buying a plastic bag
- carry a reusable bottle – download Refill app to find out where you can refill your bottle
- take a reusable coffee cup – some cafes and shops even offer a small discount if you use your own cup
- say no to plastic straws
- avoid excessive food packaging
- say no to disposable cutlery
- pack your lunch in reusable containers
- get your milk delivered – you can find your nearest delivery on Find Me A Milkman
- avoid using microbeads which are mainly found in exfoliating face and body scrubs, shower gels, toothpastes
What businesses can do to reduce use of single use plastics
- promote staff awareness days
- encourage staff to bring reusable water bottles and lunchboxes into the workplace
- carry out an internal audit and seek alternatives to single use plastics where possible
- work with your procurement team to encourage your suppliers to reduce single use plastics
What community groups can do to reduce use of single use plastics
- help us spread the word, encourage others to sign up to the County Durham Single Use Plastics Pledge!
- lead by example, encourage others to get rid of single use plastics such as straws, coffee stirrers, plastic cups