Neighbourhood Watch encourages protecting the isolated and vulnerable during the COVID 19 outbreak
Neighbourhood Watch exists to look out for communities and at a time like this we encourage you to consider ways to keep yourself, your loved ones and those in your community safe, particularly the isolated and vulnerable.
10 ways you, as a Neighbourhood Watch supporter, can protect yourself, your loved ones and your community:
- Discuss with household members, relatives, friends and neighbours what the needs of each person will be.
- If your neighbourhood has a website or social media page, consider joining it to maintain access to neighbours, information, and resources. Alternatively, share phone numbers and email addresses particularly with those who are isolated or vulnerable.
- Consider establishing a ‘buddy’ system within your community to ensure everyone stays connected to COVID-19 related news, services and can receive support safely, such as essential deliveries.
- Plan ways to care for those who might be at greater risk for serious complications.
- Choose a room in your home that can be used to separate sick household members from those who are healthy.
- Learn how to self-isolate. Guidance can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/
- Create an emergency contact list of family, friends, neighbours, healthcare providers, teachers, employers, the local public health department, and other community resources.
- Practice everyday preventive actions including regular hand washing.