!! Cold Caller Warning !!
Durham Trading Standards have become aware of cold callers trying to sell goods on the doorstep in various areas of the County. In some cases, their approach has been persistent, causing both upset and annoyance.
While it is not an offence to simply cold call, residents should be extremely cautious when dealing with unsolicited visitors.
Some top tips to keep yourself and others safe:
- DON’T accept uninvited callers
- DON’T be afraid to say ‘No’
- DON’T be rushed or feel pressured. Genuine traders will always be happy to return when a friend or family member is present
- DO keep an eye on your area and especially vulnerable neighbours. Has work started unexpectedly on their homes? Is the work visibly poor or been left unfinished? Is the person anxious about what has happened? Has a trader accompanied them to the bank?
- DO report suspicious cold callers to the Consumer Helpline on 0808 223 11 33 or to the police on 101
Learn more about how to protect yourself and others from scams by becoming a Friend Against Scams at: www.FriendsAgainstScams.org.uk/elearning/durham
You can follow Durham Trading Standards on Facebook at www.facebook.com/durhamts for updates on local scams affecting your community, consumer awareness campaigns and top tips on how to avoid becoming a victim of a scammer.